Tuesday, 4 August 2015

10 Month Update!




Eva is now ten months! and once again i'm left wondering how is it possible that time can pass us by so quickly? How is it physically possible that it's almost been a year since we said 'cheerio' to our bump and welcomed our baby girl into the world? It makes me a little emotional thinking of our first days, weeks and months together, those 'milk drunk' expressions, sleepy stretches and the sickly sweet baby scent- especially when i'm bawling my eyes out over One Born Every Minute.... but there is a massive part of me that breathes a massive sigh of relief that we've managed to make it this far - winging it, let's be honest, in unknown territory.
I really must stop telling customers in work i've 'just had a baby
This 'newborn' baby that I talk of is climbing the stairs, eating meals on her own and as of last week, has started to walk. (Yey!)

Lately we've noticed that we are communicating with a little tot, rather than a baby, which is really quite cute but completely bizarre to us. Eva knows the word 'No' and shakes her head when you say it to her . In fact lately 'No' is  my most used word in a day. 'No, stay away from the tv' 'No, don't touch the plugs 'no stay out of the cupboards!'  'No! You can't eat that' 'No, don't touch that!''No stop pulling on the curtains
I'm slowing but surely morphing into my own mum.
No offence, mum.
There is nothing that this little one doesn't want to explore. 
'Just you wait, she'll be into everything' is a phrase I heard a lot of when she first showed signs of being mobile, and it's really true. Nothing goes unnoticed or past her. And while it can be extremely frustrating sometimes when the hoover is 'mysteriously' unplugged or the toilet roll is completely unraveled 'Andrex- puppy' style or the drawers of clothes are emptied on to the floor and trampled on.
I know that she is just exploring the world around her and I try to embrace and understand that however hard it might be - Last week  she got loose with a tub of Sudocreme  while I was cleaning up the jammy mess that lunch brought along. I knew it seemed too quiet but didn't act on it quite quick enough.(Aaaaah, Rookie first- time mum mistake)
 A large part of me wanted to sob at the sight of the mess as these days I feel like I spend most of my time on the floor with some kind of cleaning device in hand, whether it be a hoover, steamer or dust pan and brush, and I have the saggy mum jeans (around the knees, backside...) to prove it.
But another part of me had to laugh at how ridiculous she looked, and i'm guilty of taking a picture for the Grandparent's.


When we're not prising plugs, remotes and cupboard door handles from her hands she's keeping us entertained. From the little shuffle and swaying when music comes on to full blown hysterical laughing when she thinks she is being chased. She loves to sit under the kitchen table and peek out with a cheeky grin and smiles from ear to ear when her favourite programme comes on. After a 5.30am wake up call I made a bleary eyed Youtube search for lullabies. (We've all been there, haven't we?)  and the next thing I know I am waking to the sound of Bob Marley 'Buffalo Soldier' and little Eva sat upright in our bed with my phone. Whaaaat. How? Just how?

It is only when I reflect back on all the changes do I realise how grown up she is getting. I honestly can't remember the last time we used the steriliser, or her baby walker, our attic is now housing moses baskets, the bouncer, her first pram and boxes of clothing. The majority of her 'first things' are no longer required, which is another stark reminder that time passes all too quickly and that newborn products are extortionately priced for all the time that they are used for! It's amazing how quickly the first year seems to be passing us by and I find myself forgetting things. When I hold a friend's newborn baby I find it so hard to imagine Eva ever being as small and now i'm watching her toddle along beside me, opening cupboards and climbing up on to the sofa, I find myself watching in amazement (before immediately rushing over to prevent a tumble). Isn't it strange how day by day everything feels the same and it's only when looking back do you notice the changes? and there has been plenty of change.



Some updates!
Eating: Eva loves to eat and will literally eat anything in sight- She definitely takes after her Mummy and Daddy in that sense. Her current favourites are cheese, bananas and pancakes as well as yoghurts and any kind of pasta dish. We have been extremely lucky in the sense that she isn't at all fussy with food and we never had any issues with weaning her on to solids, it kind of just happened very naturally. She self feeds which allows us to sit down and have meals at the same time as her, or even just have a coffee (and scroll through Instagram!)

Sizes: 9-12 months in most items of clothing but a few pairs of leggings have been 1 year+! We put that down to getting her daddy's genes (6ft 1) 

Milestones:- Eva is saying 'Mama' and 'Da Da' 'Bye' and 'Hi' She babbles all day long and is trying so hard to talk. Although she cannot talk, she understands a lot of what we say. If we ask her where her tongue is for instance, she puts her tongue out!.. When she hears the word 'clap' she claps! 

Teeth: She has four teeth, her two bottom ones and two at the top that have just cut but there are plenty more on the way. We are currently teething and this bout of new teeth are giving her a considerable amount of grief which has meant a lot of calpol for baby and lots of trips to Winemark for Mummy! 
#Sorrynotsorry

Walking: Probably the biggest milestone this month! Eva is now walking and to be honest, it's been a long time coming. She is extremely active and refuses to sit still for a minute, she constantly wants to crawl, stand or walk whether it's in the bath, in her cot or when we're out- Getting her to stay in her buggy is a monstrous task, lately it's been a two man job and at times has made us look like child abductors. 

The joys.

Favourite toys: Fisher-Price Smart Stages Chair, colourful board books, balls and anything musical or with flashing lights. 

10 months post partum: There was a stage a few months after giving birth when I wondered if i'd ever feel comfortable in my body ever again, if it would ever feel like it did before, and although I haven't toned up/lost as much weight as I had planned to by this stage (My own fault entirely. Kinder chocolate is my absolute downfall.)
I sometimes find it hard to believe that I was ever pregnant, I look at women who are expecting and find myself forgetting what it was like to have a bump!I look back at pregnancy wearing rose tinted glasses and it is only when a pregnant friend will tell me of her pains, sleepless nights and aching hips do I remember that pregnancy was pretty damn hard- although i'm living proof that you soon forget about the negatives once your beautiful bundle has arrived!



















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A New Mum Without A Manual

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig