Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Things I'll Do Differently




Not eat for two: I personally think it's perfectly acceptable to embrace the cravings during your first pregnancy. It's all very new and a bit of a novelty being able to eat whatever you want whenever you want and have a 'valid' excuse for it. That being said, next time around i'll be steering clear of all baked goods and won't allow myself within a two mile radius of a Mc Donalds. No. Really. I've finally accepted that i'm no longer eighteen and can not eat whatever I want without suffering the consequences. So long iced coffees ladened with chocolate syrup and cream. Cheerio, iced cinnamon buns. My thighs don't need you.

Get Gaviscon/Renidine on prescription: I probably could have booked us on an all inclusive Caribbean cruise with the amount of money I spent on heartburn/acid reflux relief remedies. 

...And after expecting Chewbacca, she came out with no hair. What the...

Buy less things: It saddens/embarrasses/infuriates me that I bought so many items of clothing and so many of them were never worn. I spent the last few weeks of my maternity leave on the bedroom floor continuously sorting and organising through countless piles of baby clothes and having mild panic attacks thinking I didn't have enough. In reality I could have done without the dresses, tops and leggings as she basically lived in vests and body suits for the first few months! Luckily Eva has a little cousin born just three months after her who we've passed a few things down to, and there's three boxes of my 'favourite' outfits stored up in the attic in the off chance that another girl comes along. Don't be surprised though if you see me feautured on 'Hoarders' in the near future.


Embrace the birth experience more: Not that I didn't enjoy it, in fact I really did to a certain extent, but next time around i'll have more knowledge of whats ahead (keeping in mind however, that every labour is different). I'll hopefully have more confidence having done it all before, and not look like a dear in headlights any time a midwife comes at me with any kind of utensil.. even just to check my blood pressure!
I'll know when i'm in established labour and try not 'fear' the pain. Like the books say, every contraction is one that you'll never have again, and one closer to meeting your little one.
I'll know exactly what to pack in my hospital bag- 30 breast pads? no.. Hair brush? YES. (How did I forget?)
I'll know how to speed up the recovery: Plenty of witch hazel, loose fitting lounge wear and antiseptic baths.

I will sleep when the baby sleeps: I know, I know. I have it recorded on my blog in black and white that it is physically impossible to sleep when baby sleeps. In fact I was ready to swing at anyone who even suggested it, but to hell with that, Im'a give it a good go. I began napping along with Eva when she was around eight months old and it really has revolutionized everything, i'm almost annoyed at myself for not doing it sooner. Sadly in recent weeks she has dropped her mid morning nap, and im a little gutted ive had to drop mine too but hey, ho. Coffee will have to suffice.


Refrain from bringing baby into bed: I know first hand that this is easier said than done and I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I'll give it my best attempt. We have been co-sleeping from early on and I love nothing more than curling up with my little one for a kip, but as the months have went on and she is getting physically bigger and stronger we are being royally edged out of the bed- and may as well be sleeping on the floor, i'll not lie, some nights it's tempting. Stuart as a baby skipped the cot stage and went straight to a bed, and i'm guessing Eva will be the same. 
If a 'next time' ever comes around, I think i'll look into a 'Next To Me' crib for the closeness and safety, and also the chance to experience sleep with a pillow again! 

Stay off Google: Google does nothing for anxious first time parents, absolutely nothing! One unsettled night and suddenly the search results are telling you your baby has Gastroesophageal reflux, severe colic, and constipation....the list goes on. I'll try to remember that sometimes babies have the ocassional 'off' days and if i'm that concerned to visit the out of hours doctor before pressing search on Google. We now have a cupboard full of Dentinox colic drops, Infacol, Gripe water, and every teething product on the market from 'panic' purchases.


Invest in Ewan The Dream Sheep: Waste of money or not, with over 500 5*'s on Amazon i'll be happy to give him a go. £30 for potentially a good nights sleep? Count me in.


Cut myself some slack: I am far from being a perfect mum, (is there such a thing?) Some days I really feel happy, content and confident i've got the hang of things, and others leave me feeling drained and emotional. There are so many things i'll put my hands up and admit that i'm absolutely crap at.. like choosing practical baby products such as strollers and car seats- which was coincidently lasts weeks big purchase and it left me wondering what on earth ISOfix was..or a top tether, and how come some cost over £300 and others only £90? I'm also not great when it comes to putting outfits together, I struggle dressing myself at times and regularly break the unwritten style 'rules' like wearing navy and black and mixing prints and patterns, so baby fashion was never going to be my forte. I also have to continue to get ready for work in the evenings when Eva wants to play, and then spend my shift with severe mummy guilt that I didn't give her enough of my attention. It's a horrible feeling.

But there are plenty of things that I am damn good at, like making my daughter laugh with ridiculous voices and silly songs, stroking her hair and tickling her hand at nap time. Photographing candid little moments that she'll be able to look back at in years to come and laugh at, and showering her with endless kisses and cuddles. 
I'll accept that i'm far from super mum, i'm going to make plenty of mistakes but that it's OK. That's life. Ill remind myself of all the things that I am good at and rememebr that  every mistake is a lesson.

Enjoy it: I'll remember to enjoy all the little moments, all the different stages and phases. To not get so obsessed with developmental milestones, babies grow and learn things at their own pace. To enjoy the night feeds, those quiet moments alone with my baby. To be in the moment and soak up all the loveliness and lastly to savour those moments my baby looks at me with her big brown eyes like i'm the greatest, most hilarious person to ever grace planet earth, as one day in the not so far away future, I will be a parent of a teenager(s) A mum that will be as secretly be as gloriously cringey as Regina George's mum, and I look forward to it.




























SHARE:

2 comments

© A New Mum Without A Manual

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig