Thursday, 2 April 2015

Things That I've Learnt 6 Months On.





Just when you think you've got it sussed, everything changes again: 
Just as I started to get the hang of things, there's more I have to get my head around. 
We're up to size 3 teats on our bottles, 3+ in nappies, we've started follow on milk, we have cut our very first tooth, we're on the move!.. ahhh. Change, change, change.

Now that she's on solid foods, there's more... errrr,'solid' nappies:

Deelightful.
It's safe to say there's almost always a debate over who's turn it is, and i'm usually the loser. 
Stuart makes (what really is an) impressive theatrical production out of it, coughing and gagging until I have no other choice than to take over- much to his relief.
Of course the woman/mum in me gets the job done in a matter of minutes, fuss free.. 
human-style vomit however, gets me every time... where's the teacher with the sawdust at?!

The lack of sleep- is still flippin' horrendous. 182 days without a full nights sleep, even longer if you include the late pregnancy insomnia, the eating of cheerios at 4am, hourly bathroom trips etc..

Our little cherub is as good as gold from 7.30pm-1am and then the party kicks off. I've never been a great sleeper anyway, but this sleep deprivation is torturous.
Every surface is beginning to look appealing to sleep on. I'd happily sleep on the hard living room wooden floor without a blanket if I was given half a chance. Hell, give me a thorn bush as a pillow if I was guaranteed a few hours kip. 
However, by mid morning after a coffee (or two) i've forgotten all about it and life goes on as normal, there are no days off in Mummyland. 


Everything is a two man job: Eva is on the move and it is laughable to think I thought it was so ridiculously hard when she was immobile and slept 20 hours a day.

Ha! Back in those glorious days when a cry could only mean three things.. a feed, change or cuddle. Suddenly now there's tears when I take the Sky remote out of her mouth, when I steer her away from the kitchen bin in her baby walker, if I dare even take her spoon away from her mouth during lunch.
Certain things really have started to become a two man job. 
For example, now that she's rolling about, those nappy changes I talked of earlier could potentially end in utter catastrophe if one of us isn't holding on to her legs tight enough. 
We'll wrap her up in her blankets, straight jacket- style, only to check on her moments later when she's not only managed to make her way out of them but she's at the opposite end of the cot with a great big smirk on her face. Nightmare.
I can only compare it to caring for a small, hyperactive puppy.. 
and who doesn't love puppies?


Every day there are little changes and we get to see more of her personality: 
She is such a happy little thing, a tad on the shy side, but sing a nursery rhyme to her and you'll win her over in no time at all. She has mastered the art of the fake cough and can put on a impressive squeal which can have Daddy at her call in seconds - the once strong, stubborn man has crumbled! - 
She loves to be held, cuddled and tucked in tight and will playfully tug at your clothes while she drifts off.
Although I bang on repeatedly about our lack of sleep, we'll go  into her room at ridiculous o'clock and she'll have done a commando-style roll across her cot and has the cheekiest look on her face, we can't help but laugh. She really does keep us entertained.

The food tastes great: I am forever being told off for eating Eva's food. 

In my defense (or what I like to tell Stu) is that I wouldn't ever want to feed my daughter something I wouldn't be willing to eat myself. 
Organix in particular do a fantastic range of fruit pots which I often eat along with her.. as well as Ella's kitchen.. Sweet potato, pumpkin, blueberries and apples?.. heavenly.
I've discussed this with other mum's who screw their noses up but each to their own, eh? 
Count me in for the baby food diet.



How quickly the weeks go in: I'm trying to get my head around the fact i'll be returning to work in just a few weeks. What? It literally only feels like yesterday I was breaking our pregnancy news and suddenly i've been a mummy six months and returning to work? how can this be? I have been so happy living in my pregnancy/mummy bubble that i'm petrified of getting out there in the real world, having to talk to people about topics other than sleep and feeds. 
Yes, yes. I know, it'll be great for the two of us, but a little longer in our little bubble would be just lovely.

You realise you're getting on a bit: Stuart and I went out for my Birthday at the weekend. 

We decided to go to bar where we had visited on one of our very first dates. We were none the wiser of how we got home that night, if it was by taxi how did we even explain whre 'home' was? Who paid? did we even have money on us? who knows..  Ahhh, those carefree days, eh?
 This time around it couldn't have been more different, not bad different, just.. different . 
I stared around at a sea of teens/early 20's and wondered what my daughter was up to at her Nanny's. 
We studied today's youth's fashion, haircuts and music and decided (after a few cinnamon whiskeys) to head home. While it was still a great night, we could have had easily had as much fun on the sofa, Jack Daniels in hand . We spent the next morning cuddled up on the sofa drinking orange lucozade and feeding our faces with Birthday cake. This weekend i'm looking for a dine in for two, a few drinks and Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway.
And what?

A few weeks back I met up with a girl I have known for a long time.. from Brownie Guides to the awkward teenage years.

Back in the day Laura and I would spend the long week in school discussing the weekend, who was coming out,where we would be going, and more importantly what we'd be drinking. We have countless memories together, most of them rather hazy- (the first Absinthe shot I ever experienced, I took with Laura.)
Fast forward almost ten years (whaat?!) and we're sitting in her kitchen feeding our babies lunch discussing how Mr Maker isn't all that bad looking.. and how Mr Tumble is borderline creepy, But most importantly that as challenging and frustrating it can be, we wouldn't change being mums for anything in the world. 

And on that, I must dash and restrain  Eva from eating Stuart's socks off the clothes horse.



x





















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A New Mum Without A Manual

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig